Southampton beats 10-man Brighton 2-0 in Premier League
European Football Headlines
- Dutch winger Dilrosun enjoying fresh start at Hertha Berlin
- Buffon seizes upon 1st opportunity in new reserve role
- Barcelona still reeling from Anfield collapse back in May
- Neymar scores late as PSG beats Lyon in French league
- Liverpool holds on to beat Chelsea as Man United loses
- Man United loses 2-0 at West Ham in Premier League
- Madrid rebounds from PSG loss by winning at Sevilla
- FIFA president: Racism in Italian stadiums 'very serious'
- Napoli's Llorente shines again after helping beat Liverpool
- Dortmund held 2-2 by Eintracht Frankfurt
BRIGHTON, England (AP) Moussa Djenepo's stunning first Premier League goal set Southampton on course for its first points of the season with a 2-0 win at 10-man Brighton on Saturday.
Djenepo, signed from Standard Liege in the offseason, had only been on the field for 78 seconds as a substitute when he cut in from the left to bury the ball into the top-right corner from the edge of the box in the 55th minute.
Nathan Redmond tapped home a cross from Sofiane Boufal to seal the points in injury time.
Brighton played a man light for an hour after striker Florin Andone was sent off for a reckless tackle on Yan Valery, while Lewis Dunk had a first-half header ruled out by the video assistant referee.
Prior to Redmond's strike, Brighton pushed hard for an equalizer and struck the woodwork through substitute Jurgen Locadia before falling to a first defeat under new manager Graham Potter.
Southampton had lost to Burnley and Liverpool this season.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 24, 2019