Vela scores 2 goals, LAFC beats Earthquakes 4-0
European Football Headlines
- US men's soccer to play Canada in Orlando in November
- AP Interview: Serie A CEO cites 'billion' lost to TV piracy
- Inter Milan flop Gabriel back in Brazil squad for friendlies
- Center-back shortage hands Guardiola new dilemma in defense
- Soccer authorities meet with Twitter over racist abuse
- Tottenham Hotspur-Leicester City Preview
- Sheffield United-Everton Preview
- MLS meets with supporters groups over political displays
- Arsenal, Man United open Europa League with wins
- Rooney wants another trip to MLS playoffs before going home
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) Carlos Vela scored two goals to reach 26 on the season, Diego Rossi got his 14th in the sixth minute and Los Angeles FC beat the San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday night.
Los Angeles (19-3-4) has won all four meetings between the clubs, outscoring the Earthquakes 15-3. San Jose (11-10-5) lost its third straight following a five-game undefeated run.
Vela's second goal in the 41st minute highlighted the match as he dribbled past three defenders and goalkeeper Daniel Vega for an easy finish. He also powered a shot off Vega on a penalty kick in the 17th.
Vela ranks fifth in MLS history for goals in a season, moving five away from tying Josef Martinez's record of 31 with eight games remaining.
San Jose coach Matias Almeyda was ejected late in the first half after a long argument with the referee.
Updated August 22, 2019