Vela scores 2 goals, LAFC beats Earthquakes 4-0
European Football Headlines
- Homeless club Beijing Guoan wins Asian Champs League opener
- Tottenham faces several weeks without Son after arm surgery
- Leipzig ready for European limelight after rapid rise
- Man United beats Chelsea 2-0, throws open race for CL spots
- Arriola has injured ACL that will take months to heal
- Rebić keeps up scoring form in AC Milan's win over Torino
- Neymar to return for PSG against Dortmund, says coach
- Portugal leaders rally around racially abused soccer player
- Atlético Madrid's season on the line against Liverpool
- US striker Weah tears hamstring when making injury return
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) Carlos Vela scored two goals to reach 26 on the season, Diego Rossi got his 14th in the sixth minute and Los Angeles FC beat the San Jose Earthquakes 4-0 on Wednesday night.
Los Angeles (19-3-4) has won all four meetings between the clubs, outscoring the Earthquakes 15-3. San Jose (11-10-5) lost its third straight following a five-game undefeated run.
Vela's second goal in the 41st minute highlighted the match as he dribbled past three defenders and goalkeeper Daniel Vega for an easy finish. He also powered a shot off Vega on a penalty kick in the 17th.
Vela ranks fifth in MLS history for goals in a season, moving five away from tying Josef Martinez's record of 31 with eight games remaining.
San Jose coach Matias Almeyda was ejected late in the first half after a long argument with the referee.
Updated August 22, 2019