Hurtado scores in 88th minute, Sporting KC beats Minnesota
European Football Headlines
- The Latest: Messi, Ronaldo in FIFA team of the year
- Zsori wins FIFA award for best goal
- AP sources: UEFA looks to add top-tier Nations League teams
- 2 jailed over CCTV footage of soccer star Sala's autopsy
- Atlanta star Josef Martinez expected to miss at least 1 game
- Buffon seizes upon 1st opportunity in new reserve role
- Atalanta 'disassociates' itself from fans' racist chants
- UEFA bars fans from 3 Euro 2020 qualifiers for racism
- Dutch winger Dilrosun enjoying fresh start at Hertha Berlin
- Barcelona still reeling from Anfield collapse back in May
KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) Erik Hurtado scored his second goal of the season in the 88th minute and Sporting Kansas City beat Minnesota United 1-0 Thursday night.
Hurtado ran past his defender to get to Johnny Russell's through ball, took one touch to elude keeper Vito Mannone and tapped it into the empty net.
Kansas City (9-11-7) won its fourth straight home game in the series to keep its playoff hopes alive. Sporting KC is three points back of Portland and Dallas for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference. Minnesota (12-9-6) sits alone in second, 19 points behind Supporters' Shield leader Los Angeles FC.
Tim Melia made five saves, including two in the 32nd minute, to get his fifth clean sheet of the season.
Updated August 23, 2019