Martínez scores in an MLS-record 12th straight appearance
European Football Headlines
- Montero scores in 90th, Whitecaps beat Dynamo 2-1
- Allan Cruz scores in 1st minute, FC Cincinnati tops Impact
- Camp Nou discovers Barca's teen sensation; Hazard debuts
- Barca teen Ansu Fati leads rout of Valencia, sets new record
- Conte quickly making his mark at Inter with perfect start
- Jeered and insulted by some PSG fans, Neymar scores winner
- City beaten at Norwich, dropping 5 points off Liverpool
- Abraham hat trick as Chelsea beats Wolves 5-2
- With threadbare squad, Norwich stuns Man City in EPL
- Man United beats Leicester on penalty to end wait for win
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) Josef Martinez scored in an MLS-record 12th consecutive appearance, and Atlanta United beat Orlando City 1-0 on Friday night for its sixth straight victory.
Atlanta (15-9-3) has won five straight games in the series, and hasn't lost in eight all-time meetings. Orlando (9-12-7) had a four-game undefeated run end.
Martinez finished a give-and-go with a one-touch curling shot from the corner of the 18-yard box in the 60th minute. It was Martinez's 22nd goal of the season and 17th in a 12-game stretch.
Martinez has seven goals in his career against Orlando, his highest total against an MLS club.
Orlando had plenty of quality scoring chances but couldn't take advantage. Tesho Akindele settled a long pass and cut back his defender in the box but his low shot was denied by Brad Guzan midway through the first half. Akindele and Carlos Ascues combined for eight shot attempts.
Updated August 23, 2019