Martínez scores in an MLS-record 12th straight appearance
European Football Headlines
- Fans pay an emotional tribute to Sala, a year after he died
- Man United, City sweep to big wins in 4th round of FA Cup
- Slumping Atlético is held 0-0 by Leganés in Spanish league
- Inter draws 1-1 with Cagliari as title challenge falters
- Neuville beats Ogier to win season-opening Monte Carlo Rally
- Coronavirus fears forces Olympic qualifier move to Sydney
- Spanish league president condemns racism, fan street clashes
- Valencia beats Barcelona 2-0 to inflict 1st loss on Setién
- Marseille drops points in race for Champions League place
- Netherlands forward Rob Rensenbrink dies at age 72
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) Josef Martinez scored in an MLS-record 12th consecutive appearance, and Atlanta United beat Orlando City 1-0 on Friday night for its sixth straight victory.
Atlanta (15-9-3) has won five straight games in the series, and hasn't lost in eight all-time meetings. Orlando (9-12-7) had a four-game undefeated run end.
Martinez finished a give-and-go with a one-touch curling shot from the corner of the 18-yard box in the 60th minute. It was Martinez's 22nd goal of the season and 17th in a 12-game stretch.
Martinez has seven goals in his career against Orlando, his highest total against an MLS club.
Orlando had plenty of quality scoring chances but couldn't take advantage. Tesho Akindele settled a long pass and cut back his defender in the box but his low shot was denied by Brad Guzan midway through the first half. Akindele and Carlos Ascues combined for eight shot attempts.
Updated August 23, 2019