Plata, Savarino score late to send RSL past Colorado
European Football Headlines
- AP sources: UEFA looks to add top-tier Nations League teams
- 2 jailed over CCTV footage of soccer star Sala's autopsy
- Atlanta star Josef Martinez expected to miss at least 1 game
- Buffon seizes upon 1st opportunity in new reserve role
- Atalanta 'disassociates' itself from fans' racist chants
- UEFA bars fans from 3 Euro 2020 qualifiers for racism
- Dutch winger Dilrosun enjoying fresh start at Hertha Berlin
- Barcelona still reeling from Anfield collapse back in May
- Neymar scores late as PSG beats Lyon in French league
- Liverpool holds on to beat Chelsea as Man United loses
SANDY, Utah (AP) Joao Plata scored in extra time and Jefferson Savarino added another goal minutes later and Real Salt Lake beat Colorado 2-0 on Saturday night.
Plata, who registered his first goal of the season, scored on a penalty kick in the 96th minute following a handball in the penalty area by Lalas Abubakar. Plata sneaked a right-footed shot underneath keeper Tim Howard who got a piece of the ball. Three minutes later, Savarino punched it in after taking a short centering pass from Albert Rusnak to seal the win.
RSL (13-10-4) beat Colorado (7-14-6), 3-2 earlier this year and now have claimed the Rocky Mountain Cup for the fourth straight year.
Updated August 25, 2019