Heber's goal gives NYCFC 2-1 win over Red Bulls
European Football Headlines
- Ball possession not producing more goals for Barcelona
- Haaland bids to join Bundesliga's goalscoring elite
- AP Interview: Fiorentina's American owner is a soccer lifer
- Iranian clubs agree hosting plan for Asian Champions League
- 'This isn't good enough': Solskjaer's Man United loses again
- Man United loses 2-0 to Burnley to deepen league struggles
- Neymar stars as PSG beats Reims to reach League Cup final
- One deal agents can't reach in transfer window is with FIFA
- Griezmann saves Barcelona in Copa del Rey; Madrid advances
- Ronaldo helps Juventus beat Roma 3-1 to reach semifinals
NEW YORK (AP) Heber scored on a back-foot redirect early in the second half and New York City FC edged rival New York Red Bulls 2-1 on Saturday.
Heber put a nifty touch on an end-line cross from Anton Tinnerholm for his 13th goal, which was enough to put NYCFC (13-5-8) six points ahead of the fourth-place Red Bulls (12-11-5).
NYCFC held on in 8 1/2 minutes of extra time, which included Ronald Matarrita sent off with a red card.
Right after NYCFC went a man down, Tom Barlow of the Red Bulls missed an opportunity from the goal line when he couldn't get the redirect.
The Red Bulls scored in the 10th minute when local product Alex Muyl made a nice move to get inside the box and slot the ball inside the post. It was his third goal but first since mid-March.
A penalty kick by Maximiliano Moralez, his seventh, tied the game late in the first half.
The Red Bulls won the first meeting 2-1.
Updated August 24, 2019