Barcelona forward Dembele out 5 weeks with thigh injury
European Football Headlines
- The Latest: Van Veenendaal wins FIFA goalkeeper award
- Zsori wins FIFA award for best goal
- AP sources: UEFA looks to add top-tier Nations League teams
- 2 jailed over CCTV footage of soccer star Sala's autopsy
- Atlanta star Josef Martinez expected to miss at least 1 game
- Buffon seizes upon 1st opportunity in new reserve role
- Atalanta 'disassociates' itself from fans' racist chants
- UEFA bars fans from 3 Euro 2020 qualifiers for racism
- Dutch winger Dilrosun enjoying fresh start at Hertha Berlin
- Barcelona still reeling from Anfield collapse back in May
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Forward Ousmane Dembele has joined Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez on Barcelona's injury list.
The club says on Monday that Dembele has a left thigh muscle injury and is expected to be sidelined for five weeks.
It's the latest setback for the speedy 22-year-old Frenchman who was coming off a season plagued by injuries. He started in the 1-0 loss at Athletic Bilbao on Friday in the Spanish league opener.
Messi was hurt in the preseason and didn't play in Bilbao, while Suarez didn't make it past halftime of the opener.
It remains unclear whether Messi and Suarez will be available for the second-round match against Real Betis this weekend.
Messi has a greater chance of being in the lineup against Betis but he didn't practice with the group on Monday.
Suarez is not as likely to be fit in time for Sunday's game.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 19, 2019