FIFA sends in emergency team to run Egypt's soccer body
European Football Headlines
- Aston Villa-Southampton Preview
- Bournemouth-Burnley Preview
- Tired Tottenham looks to seize on Chelsea's slump in EPL
- Swiss prosecutors charge Al-Khelaifi in FIFA bribery case
- Barcelona signs Denmark forward Martin Braithwaite
- Haaland keeps zen-like calm as the world goes wild
- For Napoli fans, the team is a religion and Maradona is god
- Messi demands calm after chaotic 2 months for Barcelona
- Police begin fraud probe of Oceania Football Confederation
- Messi hits back at club director who criticized players
ZURICH (AP) - Rocked by the surprise early exit of a national team featuring Mohamed Salah at its home African Cup of Nations last month, Egyptian soccer is getting an emergency management team from FIFA.
Soccer's world body says it appointed a panel of four men and one woman to manage the Egypt soccer federation until fresh elections within one year.
Egypt's round of 16 loss against South Africa provoked coach Javier Aguirre and his staff to be fired before federation president Hany Abo Rida and other board members resigned.
Abo Rida remains on FIFA's ruling committee, where he has represented Africa for 10 years.
The Egypt federation is getting millions of dollars from FIFA for a project in Cairo to build a new headquarters and housing base for national teams.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 20, 2019