Messi back in training, could be fit for weekend's game
European Football Headlines
- Paul Arriola has knee surgery, likely will miss MLS season
- Messi is no Maradona for Napoli as it prepares for Barcelona
- Frustration growing in Lyon ahead of Juventus match
- Serbian soccer player to continue playing with Kosovo U19s
- Italian soccer could be played without fans because of virus
- Gladbach supporters praised for condemning hate messages
- Kids under 12 banned from heading soccer balls in practice
- Greece, UEFA in emergency talks to overhaul soccer league
- The Giroud puzzle: Will Chelsea find room for a WCup winner?
- K League season kick off postponed because of viral outbreak
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Lionel Messi was back in full training again on Wednesday and may be fit to face Real Betis in the Spanish league on Sunday.
Messi had been training separately from the squad since injuring his right calf in the preseason.
He missed the team's 1-0 loss to Athletic Bilbao in the league opener on Friday.
Barcelona has not said how long it expects Messi to be sidelined.
Coach Ernesto Valverde is also dealing with injuries to forwards Luiz Suarez and Ousmane Dembele.
Dembele is certain to miss Sunday's match at the Camp Nou because of a left thigh injury that should keep him out for about five weeks.
Suarez also isn't likely to play this weekend because of a muscle injury sustained before halftime of Friday's game in Bilbao.
Two-time defending champion Barcelona hadn't loss a league opener in 10 seasons.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 21, 2019