Messi back in training, could be fit for weekend's game
European Football Headlines
- Uncertainty over South Korea's World Cup visit to Pyongyang
- Ter Stegen saves penalty as Barcelona draws 0-0 at Dortmund
- VAR takes center stage as titleholder Liverpool loses opener
- Valencia beats Chelsea 1-0 in CL after week of turmoil
- Haaland hits 3 as Liverpool, Chelsea lose in Champs League
- Haaland hits hat trick as Salzburg beats Genk 6-2
- Leipzig defeats Benfica 2-1 in Champions League
- Ajax beats Lille 3-0 to open Champions League campaign
- Inter draws Slavia Prague 1-1 in Champions League opener
- Depay's penalty rescues 1-1 draw for Lyon against Zenit
BARCELONA, Spain (AP) Lionel Messi was back in full training again on Wednesday and may be fit to face Real Betis in the Spanish league on Sunday.
Messi had been training separately from the squad since injuring his right calf in the preseason.
He missed the team's 1-0 loss to Athletic Bilbao in the league opener on Friday.
Barcelona has not said how long it expects Messi to be sidelined.
Coach Ernesto Valverde is also dealing with injuries to forwards Luiz Suarez and Ousmane Dembele.
Dembele is certain to miss Sunday's match at the Camp Nou because of a left thigh injury that should keep him out for about five weeks.
Suarez also isn't likely to play this weekend because of a muscle injury sustained before halftime of Friday's game in Bilbao.
Two-time defending champion Barcelona hadn't loss a league opener in 10 seasons.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated August 21, 2019