Castellanos scores 10th goal, NYCFC tops Crew 1-0
European Football Headlines
- Neymar scores late as PSG beats Lyon in French league
- Liverpool holds on to beat Chelsea as Man United loses
- Man United loses 2-0 at West Ham in Premier League
- Madrid rebounds from PSG loss by winning at Sevilla
- FIFA president: Racism in Italian stadiums 'very serious'
- Napoli's Llorente shines again after helping beat Liverpool
- Dortmund held 2-2 by Eintracht Frankfurt
- Liverpool 5 points clear at top after beating Chelsea 2-1
- Arsenal recovers to beat Aston Villa 3-2 with 10 men
- Wolves ends losing run with draw at Crystal Palace
NEW YORK (AP) Valentin Castellanos scored in the 36th minute, Sean Johnson got his seventh shutout of the season and New York City FC beat the Columbus Crew 1-0 on Wednesday night.
New York (12-5-8) won for the fifth time in seven games to move within a point of Eastern Conference leaders Philadelphia and Atlanta. Columbus (7-15-6) lost for the first time in seven games.
Castellanos scored his 10th goal of the season by getting past the defense for Maximiliano Moralez's lofted pass and sending it inside the far post. Castellanos has scored five goals in the past four games.
NYCFC forward Alexandru Mitrita took advantage of a defensive mistake at midfield in the 86th minute, and dribbled down the left side on a breakaway but his shot was denied by Columbus goalkeeper Eloy Room. Keaton Parks also had a late attempt blocked by Room.
It was NYCFC's first clean sheet since July 3 against Seattle.
Updated August 21, 2019