Castellanos scores 10th goal, NYCFC tops Crew 1-0
European Football Headlines
- Gregg, former Man United player and Munich hero, dies at 87
- Teammates appear to stop Marega leaving after racist abuse
- Atlético gets Morata, Costa back in time for Liverpool
- Beijing club set to open its Asian Champions League campaign
- Liverpool smiling, PSG fretting as Champions League returns
- Madrid held 2-2 by Celta as Hazard returns from injury
- Lazio beats Inter 2-1 to boost hope of 1st title in 20 years
- Marseille closes on Champions League as rivals drop points
- BBC takes soccer pundit off air after racist comment
- Messi hits back at club director who criticized players
NEW YORK (AP) Valentin Castellanos scored in the 36th minute, Sean Johnson got his seventh shutout of the season and New York City FC beat the Columbus Crew 1-0 on Wednesday night.
New York (12-5-8) won for the fifth time in seven games to move within a point of Eastern Conference leaders Philadelphia and Atlanta. Columbus (7-15-6) lost for the first time in seven games.
Castellanos scored his 10th goal of the season by getting past the defense for Maximiliano Moralez's lofted pass and sending it inside the far post. Castellanos has scored five goals in the past four games.
NYCFC forward Alexandru Mitrita took advantage of a defensive mistake at midfield in the 86th minute, and dribbled down the left side on a breakaway but his shot was denied by Columbus goalkeeper Eloy Room. Keaton Parks also had a late attempt blocked by Room.
It was NYCFC's first clean sheet since July 3 against Seattle.
Updated August 21, 2019