Kaku, Royer score, Red Bulls top United 2-1 in Atlantic Cup
European Football Headlines
- Montero scores in 90th, Whitecaps beat Dynamo 2-1
- Allan Cruz scores in 1st minute, FC Cincinnati tops Impact
- Camp Nou discovers Barca's teen sensation; Hazard debuts
- Barca teen Ansu Fati leads rout of Valencia, sets new record
- Conte quickly making his mark at Inter with perfect start
- Jeered and insulted by some PSG fans, Neymar scores winner
- City beaten at Norwich, dropping 5 points off Liverpool
- Abraham hat trick as Chelsea beats Wolves 5-2
- With threadbare squad, Norwich stuns Man City in EPL
- Man United beats Leicester on penalty to end wait for win
WASHINGTON (AP) Romero "Kaku" Gamarra scored in the sixth minute, Daniel Royer got his ninth goal on a penalty kick, and the New York Red Bulls beat D.C. United 2-1 on Wednesday night in the Atlantic Cup.
New York (12-10-5) has a nine-game undefeated streak in the series. D.C. United (10-9-9) hasn't won in the series since May 13, 2016.
Kaku took advantage of a poor clearance and sent it into the back of the net for an early 1-0 lead. The Red Bulls capped the scoring in the 59th, four minutes after D.C. United tied it, when Royer sent goalkeeper Bill Hamid the wrong way.
Ola Kamara, in his first start for D.C. United, scored on a curling shot from the corner of the 18-yard box.
Both teams were reduced to 10 men in the first half. Following a video review, D.C. United star Wayne Rooney was given a straight red card in the 24th minute for elevated contact with Cristian Casseres Jr. New York defender Amro Tarek was sent off in first-half stoppage time after receiving his second yellow card.
Updated August 21, 2019