Lokomotiv beats Leverkusen thanks to goalkeeper's error
European Football Headlines
- Burnley-Manchester City Preview
- Southampton-Norwich City Preview
- Sheffield United-Newcastle United Preview
- Crystal Palace-Bournemouth Preview
- Leicester City-Watford Preview
- Chelsea-Aston Villa Preview
- Arsenal-Manchester City Preview
- Manchester City-Manchester United Preview
- Aston Villa-Leicester City Preview
- Everton-Chelsea Preview
LEVERKUSEN, Germany (AP) A blunder from Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Lukas Hradecky handed Lokomotiv Moscow a 2-1 win over the German side in the Champions League on Wednesday.
With the score tied at 1-1, Hradecky sent a pass straight to Lokomotiv midfielder Dmitry Barinov, who promptly scored.
Lokomotiv had taken the lead through Grzegorz Krychowiak in the 16th minute before Leverkusen leveled when Charles Aranguiz's shot took a deflection off Benedikt Howedes and was ruled an own goal.
The defeat is a big blow for Leverkusen, which had been widely considered more likely than Lokomotiv to challenge Juventus and Atletico Madrid for the qualifying places in Group D.
It was Lokomotiv's first Champions League away win since 2002 thanks to the Russian club's poor away record last season and a long gap in Champions League appearances before that.
Atletico drew 2-2 with Juventus in Madrid in the other game in the group Wednesday.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated September 18, 2019