Montero's late goal lifts Vancouver into 1-1 tie with Crew
European Football Headlines
- Frankfurt beats Leverkusen 3-0 in Bundesliga
- The Wonderwall: Minnesota United has steep backing behind it
- Bulgaria soccer coach quits, 5 more arrested after racism
- Megan Rapinoe enjoys whirlwind, focuses on soccer pay fight
- UEFA rules to separate Russia, Kosovo in competition draws
- 'Clásico' match between Barcelona and Real Madrid postponed
- UEFA seeks advice on how to improve match-fixing prosecution
- Napoli 'ultra' fan arrested in killing of Inter supporter
- FIFA claims 82M TV audience for Women's World Cup final
- SKorea seeks punishment for NKorea over World Cup qualifier
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) Fredy Montero scored on a header in the 94th minute to lift the Vancouver Whitecaps into a 1-1 tie with the Columbus Crew on Saturday night.
The Whitecaps had given up an early goal and looked on the ropes until Montero's heroics. Left back Ali Adnan sent a cross into the box that a leaping Montero was able to direct into the net in the fourth minute of extra time.
Gyasi Zardes scored on a penalty kick in the 18th minute for Columbus (9-15-8), which has never won a game at BC Place Stadium.
Columbus has one loss in its last 11 games (4-1-6). The Crew entered the match six points behind the New England Revolution in the race for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
The Whitecaps (7-15-10) are 2-3-1 in their last six games and remain last in the Western Conference.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated September 21, 2019