3rd-tier Tranmere beats Watford, to play Man Utd in FA Cup
European Football Headlines
- Man City CEO targets verdict this season in UEFA ban case
- South Korean fans checked for virus before soccer match
- India set to host 2022 Asian Cup in women's soccer
- Reyna at 17 becomes youngest American in Champions League
- Neville wants England to be 'biggest threat' to Americans
- Atlético Madrid edges Liverpool 1-0 in Champions League
- Haaland nets 2 to give Dortmund 2-1 win over PSG in CL
- Cincinnati coach Ron Jan forced out after racist comments
- Cyprus weighs Spanish evidence in match-fixing probe
- Tottenham's Son could be out for season after arm surgery
LIVERPOOL, England (AP) Third-tier club Tranmere set up a fourth-round match with Manchester United in the FA Cup after beating Premier League team Watford 2-1 after extra time on Thursday.
Watford paid the price for fielding a severely understrength lineup for the replay at Prenton Park, which came just two days after Nigel Pearson's relegation-threatened team played a game in the league.
Substitute Paul Mullin, who scored the equalizer in the first game that saw Tranmere rally from three goals down to draw 3-3, grabbed the winner in the replay in the 104th minute.
Man United also needed a replay to advance and will head to Tranmere on Sunday on the back of two straight losses in the Premier League, the most recent being 2-0 at home to Burnley on Wednesday that saw fans remonstrate against the club's American ownership.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports
Updated January 23, 2020